The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Friday, July 27, 2007

Writing again

I didn't write anything for weeks. Not a line of poetry. Not even a blog post. A fallow period. And in the middle of it, a couple weeks ago, I started going to a weekly poetry workshop. Which meant that I had to share poems. The first week I brought in something from mid-June. But the process of going to the workshop has got me writing again. Last week, it was something about The Death of Marat. This week, I picked up where I left off months ago with the "Pythia says..." poems. I brought the first couple poems in the series to the workshop and the response was so warm, that I've started working on it again.

I find I'm writing in the car on the drive to and from San Ramon. Actually, I don't write while driving, I just repeat lines over and over until I can pull over and scribble down a stanza. I think it's affecting the rhythm of the process, hopefully for the better.