The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Flying balls

Being part of a couple means being part of a team. You work together, you share possessions, you look out for each other. So when my car got stolen a year and a half ago -- and Adam had just bought a second car -- it made sense not to get another car right away. I was grad school poor and didn't do much driving as it was. When I started working in San Ramon, I agreed to pay for the insurance and some maintenance on the VW Golf in exchange for being able to drive it out to the office. It was a good system until about a month ago, when the Golf started having problems, all sorts of problems, cascading. Since Adam's been working from home, I've been taking the Audi TT to the office and he's had to do without.

All of which has worked out really great for me. The TT is so much fun to drive, and I know how cute I must look behind the wheel of the little roadster. But I'm very worried about something going wrong while I'm driving it -- an accident, or a sudden malfunction. I take extra care parking it at the office, too. I've found a great parking spot around the side of the building, where no one ever parks. It's shady, but the tree doesn't drop too many leaves and twigs, and I can see it from my window. And when I glanced out the window about half an hour ago, I saw the company softball practice in full swing (or throw, rather), in the empty parking lot right next to the TT. Not good. I went right out and moved the car.

Now I just don't know if I should tell Adam.