The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Blacksburg

Yesterday, upon hearing of the shooting of 32 students and professors at Virginia Tech, I mostly felt relief that Adam's friend Mike, who works and is a student in the engineering program, was OK. He was lucky to have a Tuesday-Thursday class schedule.

Today, as I read stories of what happened at the campus, I am saddened and shocked by the unspeakable horror. But this, in the New York Times, is what made me start crying and realize I shouldn't read any more at the office:
Liviu Librescu, 76, an engineering science and mathematics lecturer, tried to stop the gunman from entering his classroom by blocking the door before he was fatally shot, his son said Tuesday from Tel Aviv.
"My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee," Joe Librescu said. His father, a Holocaust survivor, immigrated to Israel from Romania, and was on sabbatical in Virginia.