The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Saturday, March 03, 2007

Post-panel wrap-up

I'm not sure whether I can say the panel I sat on was a success or not, as in did anyone in the audience take away something beneficial from my experiences (perhaps Scottie can better say whether it was successful).

I can say I forgot to mention a few of the things I'm working on: Nissa's "Art for Autism" benefit, for which I'm performing, wrangling other performers, and editing the book of work from the event; the book reviews I've been doing for the Quarterly; the projects I'm writing, Don't Panic and Pythia Says.

It was a very different dynamic from the one I expected — I thought I'd know a lot more of the people in the audience, and that it would be more of a conversation. As it was I felt like I was supposed to be some Expert, dispensing wisdom from on high. And since I already felt like a bit of a fraud (in that I am no expert), it just added to my sense that the audience wasn't really going to take home all that much of value.