The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Morning Excitement

It's a holiday, and I'm sleeping late. Trying to sleep late, anyway, when Adam sits bolt upright and says, "Radio!"

Did he lose his clock radio? Does he hear one outside? What am I supposed to do with this information? I say something to this effect (Me: "Whaa??!").

"Radio the cat," he says. This is when I look over to the windows and see our downstairs neighbor's cat filling up half the screen. This is somewhat surprising, as we live in a third floor attic apartment.

After a minute or so, he leaves, and we wonder how he's going to get off the roof (the window is in a gable, so we're already at roof level).

Half an hour later, Radio is back, whimpering to get in. This time we're ready. I grab a camera and take a picture (soon to come, I hope). Adam slides back the screen, and Radio comes in. He's a big, friendly mass of gray-brown fur. I get out a piece of turkey and carefully lure him out of the apartment. Once in the central hallway, Radio has no interest in leaving by the front door, so Adam knocks on Sarah's door and brings the truant cat back to his owner.

As I'm writing this, I hear a "Meow" from the living room window. He's back, camped out now on the fire escape.

"I'm surprised he didn't do this years ago," says Adam.

If he can get up, I guess he can get down.