The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Today's resolution: contest that book

OK. It's time to start pushing my book-length manuscript. I've let Valley/Ridge just hang out, congealing slowly online. It's really time to make a concerted push for it. And the best/easiest way to do it is to enter contests. Now, I am not a fan of poetry contests. I'm highly suspicious of them. On the other hand, they are one of the few opportunities to simultaneously submit a manuscript, and I don't have the time to sit around waiting to get rejected before sending it on to someone else. Finally, some people I really respect had their first books published in contests. So now the only thing for it is to print up a bunch of copies of the poems and put them out into the world. I know Adam will hate it if I use up so much toner, so maybe I'll do a bunch of copies at the cheap copy place on Grand Ave. I know that if I had six or seven copies of the manuscript stacked up in my alcove I'd be a lot more likely to mail them out when deadlines come around.