The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Sunday, May 08, 2005

rainy days and sundays

I'm not a big fan of Sundays, they're the day we get chores done around the apartment, grocery shopping, laundry, etc. Rainy Sundays are the worst. Adam has decided he needs to clean and overhaul his office area, and although it will be nice once he's done, in the middle of the clean-up things are definitely worse than when he began. It really will look good when he finishes, but right now there are piles of computer books and papers and things all over the living room. He's been a real honey today, though, taking time out from cleaning to help me with my website. It's getting close to completion and I'm really excited by the project.

I think the non-linearity of a hypertext situation is really interesting (not that this is a news flash -- artists have been doing lots of cool things in the format for more than a decade). It is my first major experience with non-linearity, though. It brings up two main fears: 1) poems will get skipped and never read, and 2) readers will be frustrated if they end up on the same poem for the third time. I guess you just can't predict what will happen, and there's no guarantee readers of a more traditional manuscript won't skip around, re-read or get frustrated, so...