The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

580 Split

Just got the semi-official news that I've been named Poetry Editor of 580 Split, Mills' literary journal of experimental poetry and prose. This comes after the unofficial news (at dinner Monday night) but before the official news (which should be announced tomorrow or the next day).

I'd like to think I was chosen because I'm really excited about working on the journal and I'd be a really excellent poetry editor, but I'm afraid I was chosen because I was the only one who wanted to take the job. I just have to keep reminding myself that that doesn't mean the other things aren't true.

Anyway, 580 Split is published once a year and is a collection of experimental and avant-garde creative writing. What this means in practice is that the poetry tends toward the prose block and eschews confessional narratives. The work of current Mills students is not included, but former students are eligible (and often submit some of the most exciting and different work).