The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Dictee

It sort of surprises me that I can get this far in grad school without reading Theresa Hak Kyung Cha's Dictee. I know I should have read it last fall, but I had to go to Maine and I missed the class we'd discuss it so I just never got around to reading it. I have a sneaking suspicion it'll be on the list for Walter's Craft class, so I might as well get to it now.

At this point (OK, I've barely started it), I'm starting to see how it begins to trace these various histories and lives, and how the parallels will start to become more apparent. I'm worried my inability to speak French will hamper my understanding. I'm afraid I've been just skipping over the parts in French and hoping I'm not missing anything. Not the best way to read, I know.