The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Monday, October 03, 2005

not so serene

Saw Serenity on Saturday night in a huge crowd with 15 friends. And it was good. Very good. By and large, we were not disappointed by the film. But I think we're all mourning the end/loss of Firefly. And certain shocking events in the movie have left me heartbroken (I started crying at brunch the next day as I explained to Adam why I was taking it so hard). Not that crying is unusual for me, but I've found that I'm much more likely to be moved by books (and even well-made TV shows) than I have by movies in recent years. They usually lack such depth. Serenity, on the other hand, had more than a dozen hours of scene-setting, character-building, lead-up, so everything meant so much more than it might seem.