The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Thursday, September 22, 2005

reflections on being in my second year

So we're nearly a month into the semester, and I'm starting to get a feel for how things are going, and how I'm doing. The reading this week went really well (at least, that's what I've been told). I had a good time, didn't feel too nervous, and didn't obsess about my lisp (which always makes it worse). The 580 Split reading is going well, I've done a nice job of staying on top of things, lots of readers are participating, and I think we're getting better submissions than we did last year. Of course, I can tell that my opinions and tastes are different from some of the other readers -- there are some readers that I don't agree with at all, so it will be interesting to see how we resolve some stuff when we select work at the end of the semester.

And workshop has been... Well, it's been an experience. I can't say it's going great, because I'm not sure I'm getting much useful feedback. I had 15 minutes on Tuesday, and we spent most of the time discussing how to deal with a quotation (footnote? endnote? name the author? just the initials?) when I would have rather actually heard about how the poem itself was working or not working. I am trying to insulate myself with an attitude of "whatever, if they don't like it, they don't get it" but I'm not sure I can pull it off.