The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Thursday, August 11, 2005

singles scenes and strange pickups

Just got home from a night out with Nissa. She called me up, and since Adam was doing a guys' night out, we went and had drinks at the Conga Lounge, a tiki bar in Rockridge she'd heard about. (As to this so-called guys'-night-out thing, I suspect it was a mixed crowd but Adam just didn't want me hanging around.) So Nissa and I arrive at the Conga Lounge, only to discover that they're doing a "Singles Night." We're curious about the tiki, so we go in anyway. I have to say it was the lamest singles' night ever. Nissa will be complaining about it for weeks--yet more evidence in the whole "bay area guys don't know how to make a move" rant. We were there for a couple of hours, and no one chatted either of us up. Not even Nissa, who was going up to the bar and doing her best to look approachable. (My boyfriend will be pleased to know that I made no effort to look approachable.) Once the music got too loud to talk and the salsa dancing started, it was time for us to go. I had to park a couple blocks away, and as I'm walking home (alone, in the dark) a car slows down beside me. The driver yells out "It's good to see there are beautiful women in this neighborhood." Then he tries to engage me in conversation as I try to walk to my apartment, worrying all the while that he might learn what building I live in. Does he not realize that a woman walking alone at 11:30 p.m. is not exactly pleased when strange men begin talking to her?