The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Thursday, June 02, 2005

finally, something nice happens

So all of the hoping and speculation is over. I have been offered the assistantship in the office of grad studies. Here's the money quote from the email:

On behalf of the Office of Graduate Studies, I am pleased to notify you will be awarded an Assistantship for 2005-2006 granted by this office.  Your official contract will be sent to you soon.  As agreed, you will work in the Office of Graduate Studies.  

I must say I'd rather despaired of getting it. I hadn't heard anything in two weeks, so I sent an email this morning to check in. I was rather surprised by the good news; I've been preparing for the worst the past week, and I'd hesitated to ask as I thought it would just hasten the bad news. As it turns out, it hastened news of another sort entirely.