The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Sunday, February 19, 2006

almost perfect

I made my first broadside on Friday. I printed the first poem from Valley/Ridge. The broadside is 10" x 22" horizontally aligned, with brown ink on cream paper. It took about four hours, including an hour to clean the press after, to make 25 copies. It really is quite nice, though I'm sure I'll hear all about its flaws at the critique on Wednesday. Of course, after I finished, and keep in mind that it was a fair amount of work and rather expensive paper, I noticed a misspelled word in the colophon: Eucalytus Press, not Eucalyptus Press. This is the colophon I had to set three times before I found a typeface that looked good, so I guess it's understandable that it had a mistake. I'm hoping it isn't widely noticed, since there's no fixing it, and I'm not making more.