The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Monday, January 23, 2006

language made visible

I spent two hours setting type. It was awesome. I felt like I was pretty good at the setting part, but not, perhaps, at the rest of it. Tie up this, ink that, run it through the proof press, wipe with solvent. Etc. I set four lines from "fit to be tied" in Bembo 14. It was good.

I'm so used to manipulating with a computer that creating the same effect with tiny bits of metal seems very time consuming. But you're working toward different goals, I think, and there are differing levels of control with each.

(It should be obvious by now, I think, that I did get in to the class. The same 2 students didn't show up, and so were dropped, which left room for the 5 unregistered students that came back today. I got a drawer with my name on it. Giddiness ensued.)