The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Thursday, May 12, 2005

gardening in Oakland and other quixotic causes

I joined up with some other students in my Activating the Local class to plant plants on triangular park space in Oakland. I'm still a bit skeptical about the longterm success of the project, but we had fun and raised interest in the neighborhood. I was very late, and I had a lot of trouble finding it, but it turns out it's right behind Lois the Pie Queen. They planted tomatoes and lettuce and parsley before I got there. I helped plant some flower seeds (California poppies, asters and the like).

As far as final projects go, I can't help but compare the planting with my website. Artistically, aesthetically the website wins out. But if people in the neighborhood actually eat the tomatoes (which I'm not really expecting to happen) then the planting project will probably have a bigger impact.