The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Tuesday, January 29, 2008

That distinct waddle

I just got home from taking Adam to the airport, and it is very early. I was lucky and still had my parking space right in front of our building. Just as I'm clubbing my car (less violent than that sounds), I see something moving in the rearview mirror. At first I think it is a dog being walked in the predawn morning. But there's no owner visible. Then I think maybe it's a cat, but by this time I can see it heading down the sidewalk toward me -- and the distinctive waddle and white stripes give it away. The skunk walks down the sidewalk, then up the walk to my front door, taking its time to sniff all around the walk, the flowers next to the house, the driveway. I had to wait until it had moved on to the next house before climbing out of the car. The past week I've been smelling a lot of skunk, but I very rarely actually see the animal that causes all the stink.