The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Actually, it's for you

Phone rang early this morning. It was ringing and I was dreaming and I was waking and I knew I went to work yesterday so it must be Saturday. It was ringing and I wanted it to stop.

"It's for you," I said to Adam, so he answered it. Also, the phone is on his side of the bed.

"Hello. One moment please..."

And that's when I woke up and remembered it isn't Saturday, it's Tuesday. And yesterday I called lots of people and left messages for the article I'm writing. So I jumped out of bed and looked for a robe to put on and couldn't find it in the gray light. It was light out, but gray and foggy, so I didn't even know what time it was. And then I went into the living room and looked for pen and paper and couldn't find any. So I just sat down unprepared and answered the phone.

"Good morning." The caller instantly apologized, saying he was in New York and hadn't realized I was on the West Coast. Unspoken was that he also hadn't realized until just then that I was working from home and that the number he had was the number that would wake me up in the early morning. I just hope he hadn't realized I was naked.

This was embarrassing for both of us so we quickly got down to business and I told him about the article and he gave me an email address.

When I got back to bed, I looked at the clock: 6:45.