The There Blog

Because Gertrude Stein said "there is no there there."

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Crema-Lita, I Barely Knew Ya

I once read that people who would never ordinarily consider running a retail outfit often entertain thoughts of owning a cafe. There's a sign in the window of the former Crema-Lita on Piedmont Avenue advertising the sale of the business. And, naturally, I've been entertaining thoughts of what I'd do to make it over.

The original business was a coffee & ice cream sweetshop on a street that already had a half-dozen cafes and an ice cream parlor/institution. It differentiated itself by offering low-fat, low-carb sweets (just as the low-carb craze was fizzling). Unfortunately, the food didn't taste very good; I had one of the worst mochas of my life there. Plus, the decor had a decidedly 31-flavors vibe.

But it's got potential. First, I'd paint the walls a moss or wasabi green. I'd put in picture rails and I'd exhibit local artists. The windows face south-west, so I'd get some heavy curtains, maybe in dark gold. I'd get new tables and chairs, and put a big couch and couple of comfy chairs in one corner. I'd spend a lot on a really good espresso machine. The cafe would have free wireless, and I'd put a lot of outlets around the room at table height. And then I'd give it some vaguely dark and mythological name, like The Serpent's Den or Charybdis.